Abbess Thermal Technologies
Abbess brings a unique and innovative team approach to the challenges of temperature technology in a wide range of industries and applications. Our core teaming of talented engineers and technicians draws on extensive experience in the design and manufacture of systems for environmental simulation, experimental laboratory activities, and industrial process applications.
We carefully focus upon customer needs from initial sales contact and consultation, through design and custom manufacture to provide practical and cost effective thermal management to industries as diverse as bio-medical storage, aerospace component testing, material processes and basic scientific research.
Modularized components of a cascade refrigeration system, configured for cryo-storage with strategic redundancy and integration into complex customer defined system, custom PLC programming
A design and sales team approach and in factory custom fabrication capabilities enable Abbess Instruments to configure Thermal Technology that is aptly tuned to user specifications and fully answerable to initial and long term cost.
From initial contact with the sales team and throughout a careful design process, Abbess works with customers to define the operative goals specific to their needs and the effective system that will meet those needs. Size and scope and temperature objectives are clearly defined and the engineering approach is well documented, mapping performance, process integration, power, actuation and sensor interaction with the ultimate accomplished system. The end result is a robust and completely integrated Abbess Temperature Technology System.
Frequently Asked Cryogenic Questions
- What is the lowest temperature that I can obtain?
- Cryogenics can cool to -196C. Cascade systems can cool to -86C. Single-stage refrigerators can cool to -30C.
- What is the fastest rate in degrees/min that I can move to this lowest temperature?
- Cryogenic systems can cool at several degrees C per minute. Refrigeration systems are generally less than a degrees C a minute.
- What is my temperature tolerance at the highest and lowest temperatures?
- This is system dependent however, refrigerators are better for avoiding overshoots and cold spikes.
- What types of evaporators are available?
- Evaporators can be made in multiple sizes and configurations such as cold plates, shrouds, convective heat exchangers. They can be made from copper and aluminum which can be plated in nickel or gold for better thermal characteristics.
- Which cooling system is more economical?
- Cryogenic systems require liquid nitrogen to be provided throughout the use of the system so, refrigeration is more cost effective in the long term. However, refrigeration startup costs are more expensive. Single-stage are cheaper to operate than cascade systems.
- What type of thermal plate is needed with the system?
- Copper plates have better thermal characteristics and offer more uniform temperature control with less thermal drift but, are more expensive that aluminum thermal plates.
- How uniform will my cooling need to be?
- Convective heat transfer offers the most uniform cooling. However, if you need to cool in a vacuum, thermal shrouds can be used. If thermal drift is not a concern, a thermal plate can be used.
- In what type of spaces are available to cool within?
- We can offer cooling in our own vacuum systems as well as standard enclosures and customer provided spaces.
- How can I control the temperature?
- We can offer ramping controls, single set point control, or a process cycle.
- Can my refrigeration system be combined with a heating system?
- Yes we can offer full temperature control in the system specific ranges.
To talk to an Abbess engineer with your system questions or requirements:
Call (508) 881-8811 or submit a RFQ