- Founded in 1986
- Makes vacuum chamber systems with optional easy-to-use process control and data-logging resulting in improved test/processing quality and time. Our customers are small to large organizations with low vacuum degassing through to high vacuum space simulation applications.
- Provides instruments and systems for science and industry:
- Instruments and systems small to large in size, and simple to complex in specification & functionality
- Some suitable for high-visibility applications
- Range of control options
- Custom instruments and systems for national labs, corporate research labs, and supported research projects to more than 100 universities.
- Abbess supplies domestically and around the globe.
- Wide range of skill sets:
- Company President Geoffrey Zeamer – background in low temperature physics; worked with US Navy anti-submarine effort and at the Stanford University Low Temperature Physics Lab, as well as in particle and plasma physics.
- With personnel holding PhDs in Math and in Applied Physics, experienced in Vacuum and Thermal Control Systems, Low Temperature Physics, Vacuum Systems, and Optical Space Instrumentation.
- AutoCAD Dept … works with customers in an incremental process during the Design Phase, to reach mutual understanding and agreement on the To-Be-Built system configuration.
- Integrated shopfloor … designed for rapid and controlled chamber assembly, integration, test, and shipping. State-of-the-art CNCs, extended-bed milling capability, and welding facilities.
- Can handle (large) systems weiging in the order of 7000 lbs.
- Working with ‘remote’ customers:
- Abbess’ Tele/videoconference capabilities are particularly useful for our remote customers, reducing their need to visit and thus minimizing their Travel & Living expenditures. Using Skype, Abbess is able to lead customers through their design documentation (by viewing our screens), and by linking to a mobile camera, Abbess can show the customer their product on the shop floor. (Unfortunately, working in this manner with International customers requiring ITAR licensing is not permitted.)
- For customers with PC Touch Screen Packages that have been appropriately enabled, Abbess can offer post-delivery support by using Remote-In to run diagnostics and to perform software upgrades.
Standards & Certification
- Products are compatible and compliant with a variety of ASTM standards
- Products are consistent and compliant with engineering standards set out by ASME ‘s Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code
- All components with electrical functionality are UL and/or CE rated.
- Customers may opt for a UL508A certified industrial control panel – an added cost
- Customer may opt for ULFE (UL Field Evaluation) compliance verification service – an added cost. Note that UL508A certification is NOT a prerequisitefor ULFE. ULFE verifies system compliance to installation site permit authority codes and requirements.
Abbess is a member of ASTM, AVS (American Vacuum Society), and the Cryogenic Society of America.